Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Getaway to LA

Los Angeles has long been one of my favorite weekend getaways. Just a short hop from Anchorage to LAX on Alaska Airline’s daily nonstop flight, we try to go at least a few times a year. It's a nice way to break up those long Alaskan winters and get a quick infusion of vitamin D. We also have friends and family there, and we love being able to catch up with them on a regular basis.


My guy, B (with a little nudging from me) decided a long weekend away for my birthday would make a great gift. To save on airfare, we were able to use one of our annual companion tickets from our Alaska Airlines Visa cards. If you don’t utilize this great resource I highly recommend it; qualify for a card and you not only accrue miles with Alaska Air and get 25,000 miles right out of the gate (good for one round-trip domestic ticket) you also get a companion ticket each year. Companion tickets allow you to buy one ticket and get a second one for a mere $100. It’s a great deal and since we each have an Alaska Airlines Visa card, we get to utilize this perk twice a year! 

Because we saved money on airfare, we decided to splurge a bit elsewhere (I mean, it’s my birthday, right?!) We spent our first couple nights at one of our favorite boutique hotels, Petit Ermitage. Located in a quiet residential neighborhood in the heart of West Hollywood and blending perfectly with the other condo and apartment complexes, you'd never know it was a hotel. Until you step inside.


Walk through their front doors and you are immediately transported to a faraway land with the most whimsical dΓ©cor, nicest staff and best amenities. Our favorite spot is the rooftop pool, which has a Moroccan feel and encourages decadent lounging all day long. There is an excellent restaurant on the rooftop as well, where we got some great meals poolside (oh yes, avocado toast, we love you!) and drinks that just kept flowing.


Fast forward to evening, and you can enjoy outdoor fireplaces, fluffy blankets from the staff and occasional live music. Of course, this all comes with a fairly high price tag, but it is well worth every penny!


Yeah, we are super cheesy in love, I know....


We did duck out one night to one of my favorite landmarks, the Chateau Marmont, which oozes old Hollywood and is a great place for celebrity sightings. I get really excited about seeing celebs, although oddly enough, I almost never recognize them. I argued with B extensively on one of our Hawaii trips that Owen Wilson was NOT sitting across from us (he was...) but I still love the idea of seeing them so...

No one famous (except maybe us, someday!) but we had fun anyway!

After our two-day hideaway at Petit, we moved on to Venice. Venice has a vibe that just... speaks to me. A little crazy, a little eclectic, a little exotic and beneath it all, a bit of an underbelly. I like places that have some grit under the sparkle and aren’t too sanitized. The area has become very gentrified and you’re more likely to see young hipsters than hippies, but I can still go on a morning run down the to boardwalk and nod hello to the wild and crazy folk that make Venice real. And I need real.

B still feels the Bern....


We chose a cute little one-bedroom via AirBnB, which was on a surprisingly quiet street and very affordable (much needed after dropping paper all over the Petit!) I’ve had really good luck using AirBnB or VRBO, both of which offer up private homes and rooms for vacation rentals. AirBnB is less expensive, but sometimes VRBO’s rentals are a bit more established and seem to consist of more people who do vacation rentals for a living as opposed to renting space in their own residence. But both sites are worth checking out and their rentals go worldwide (we are definitely using AirBnB when we go to Europe this fall!)

We went wandering on Abbot Kinney Blvd, dubbed the "coolest street in America." Like the rest of Venice, it’s been totally gentrified and is a bit slicker than the laid back Venice of the old days, but there are still a ton of shops, art galleries and restaurants to explore. 

We met up with friends one night and had dinner at Hal's Bar and Grill,  which is right on Abbot Kinney and features market-fresh food prepared with simple perfection. Try Hal's penne pasta for an entree! The front and center location also provided plenty of people watching in between lively conversation and a great meal.

Later, we walked over to the Venice Canal District. Built in 1905 by Abbot Kinney himself, the idea was to recreate the look and feel of Venice, Italy. I haven't been to the real Venice yet (spoiler alert, this is happening in October!) but I think it definitely gives one the romantic feel of those Venice gondolas.

This is a must-see if you’re spending any time in the Venice area. Truly a lovely and serene spot.


Of course, going down to the beach is a must, and we made sure to spend some time there. Then we made our way back to Abbot Kinney for drinks and apps at The Tasting Kitchen. I wanted to go here because I heard the food was amazing, and because I heard sometimes, if you’re lucky, you might see a celebrity or two.  As I said, I’m easily impressed and possibly the worst groupie ever when it comes to celebs, so that promise alone was enough to get me there. While we didn’t see anyone famous (or maybe we did and I just didn't recognize them!) the food did live up to the reviews – it was amazing. The atmosphere was good, a little loud but it was a weekend so that’s to be expected. The server was pleasant and knowledgeable.


 

Toward the end of our trip, we made a detour over to Griffith Park. With more than 4,000 acres of land, Griffith Park has tons of hiking trails, as well as the famed hike to the Hollywood sign. 



It is also home to  Griffith Observatory, which takes you away to the real stars, and is always free to visit. 
 

And if you don’t want to hike or visit the observatory, at least go for the sunset.


I always feel like I leave a little part of my heart in California when I fly home, and I know that B does for sure, since he’s from there and a part of his heart lives in Cali no matter what. There are those who aren’t a fan of this busy, beachy, place, but for me, it’s a place I return to again and again for "just another day of sun". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All That Glitters (and all That's Tarnished) at the Golden Nugget

My guy and I just got back from a long weekend in Vegas. While weekends there are always on our regular travel rotation, we've never spe...