Friday, September 8, 2017

Flying Away to Fairbanks, AK

For those of you who are parents of older kids, you know all too well the adage "the days are long but the years are short" rings true for all of us. It seems like yesterday my son was a tiny baby, so I'm not really sure how I was suddenly seeing him off to college in Fairbanks last week.

Located in the heart of Alaska's interior and about 350 miles from Anchorage, Fairbanks is Alaska's second biggest city. Of course, the first thing most people think of when the city of Fairbanks is mentioned is the cold. The area is classified as subarctic and is known for long, cold, dark winters. It is considered America's coldest city. I can't argue that -40F is nothing to mess with. Cold is cold, no doubt about it!

                                   

Thankfully for my son (and for me when I visit soon!) there's much more to Fairbanks than inclement weather. Visitors can enjoy places like Chena Hot Springs, where you can soak in the natural hot spring waters, explore their ice museum (and ice bar! Appletinis, anyone?) or go on a sled dog ride. The resort is open year-round and has a wide range of accommodations available. 

If you're all about the holidays, you can head to North Pole, Alaska, which is part of the Fairbanks Borough and home to Santa Claus House, where it's Christmas every day. Kids love Santa whether it's December or July, and this little shop is fun no matter what time of year it is. Fairbanks also has plenty of places for camping, hunting and fishing, as well as tours and other tourist activities.

Our focus wasn't on adventures this trip, but getting my son settled at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks.  UAF sits just outside the main part of the city, creating its own little community of college students. 


I had a few people ask me why my son, who is majoring in Film Production, would choose Fairbanks over one of the showrunner film schools like UCLA or USC. And it's true, if you want to make a career out of making movies, southern California is the hotspot.

But I also had to consider my son, who, while being well-traveled and a smart, sensible kid, also hasn't lived away from home or even spent much time away from me until now. We both did a lot of research before coming to the conclusion that Fairbanks would be a good choice, at least for his first couple years. 

Cost is certainly a huge factor and the last thing anyone needs is a boatload of student loan debt. I'm not in a financial position to foot the bill for a 60k a year school (is anyone????) and he was able to get enough scholarships through UAF and other private entities that his first year of college will cost him....nothing. He will probably get a little money back when it's all said and done. That alone is a priceless gift when it comes to trying to afford an education in this country. 

Fairbanks also has a pretty robust arts department, with their film production major working in tandem with a theatre major. While it isn't quite the same as UCLA, the smaller class size and individual instruction makes up for the lack of "big name" players at the school. 

My son's father drove with him from Anchorage to transport all his stuff, and I flew up the next morning to help him move in. I never went to college in this kind of setting, so it was really fun to see the kids all milling around, excited, maybe a little nervous, as they found their dorm rooms and got situated. My son was lucky to get one of his high school buddies as a roommate, and several other friends from school were attending UAF as well, giving them a good core of familiar faces as they started anew in an unknown place. Faculty and senior students were on hand to help, with established students assisting parents and kids with luggage, and student services open for questions and assistance. 

He unpacked, we went and got his books, went to the store to stock up his mini-fridge, and walked around campus so he could get his bearings. The weather was sunny and beautiful, a little bit of leftover summer to get the kids through those first few weeks of school. 


I put it off as long as I could, but as the sun stretched low across the campus, I knew it was time to say goodbye. "Are you gonna be okay?" I asked my son. He nodded and hugged me, said "Are you gonna be okay, mom?" I choked back my tears and nodded as well. When I looked at him, I didn't see the 18-year old young man, who towers over me. I saw instead the little boy, looking up at me with complete trust and putting his hand in mine. The years rushed by in my mind, memories and moments of being by his side, teaching him, watching him grow, loving him. 

We raise our children with the hopes they will become contributing members of society, that they will thrive as they make their way through this world. But I never expected the moment of letting go to feel so much like heartbreak. 

I know he's still close enough to come home often and I know I'll see him sooner rather than later. I know the bond he and I have goes beyond any distance. And I know that all those years of love and devotion have culminated in this moment; a young man strong enough to fly. 












No comments:

Post a Comment

All That Glitters (and all That's Tarnished) at the Golden Nugget

My guy and I just got back from a long weekend in Vegas. While weekends there are always on our regular travel rotation, we've never spe...