Sunday, October 15, 2017

Footloose and Fancy Free - Packing for Any Trip!

I dont know about you, but when I travel, the last thing I want is to be weighed down with giant suitcases, schlepping luggage to the airport, dragging it off the baggage carousel and then trying to cram it into the taxi or rental car, all for the purpose of bringing a bunch of stuff I probably didn't need in the first place! I don't see the point of it, and while I might sometimes check a bag on my way home from a trip (if the shopping was especially good!) I almost never check luggage at all. I've got a few tried and true tips on packing for travel, and since I'm gearing up for a multi-country adventure next week, I thought this might be a good time to share them.

First off all, it's important to have the right suitcase. I've had the same trusty Samsonite for 15+ years, and while it is overdue for replacement, my indecisiveness has left me using it one more time for this trip. I've been chatting with a few luggage companies about getting a new bag, but for now, it's what I got.


I love this suitcase because it a) fits in the overhead of most air carriers, b) has a zip out expander and c)fits in the overhead! I prefer fabric suitcases over hard-sided, mainly because there seems to be a bit more "give" to fabric bags, making it easier to fit everything into it. I also love that this is a 4-wheeled bag. I'm telling you, once you try the 4-wheely, you will never use those unstable two-wheeled rollaways again! I also got this great shoulder bag by Amolar, which not only has room for your laptop and other flight essentials, but has a convenient sleeve that allows it to fit over your bag handle. Makes walking through airports a breeze! Both these bags are roomy enough that you can fit everything you need, while still remaining in compliance with the "One bag, one personal bag" rule on most airlines.


Now that you have the perfect bag, make a packing list. I'm an obsessive list-maker and when I'm planning a trip, I find it incredibly helpful to make a comprehensive list of everything I want to bring. Nothing gets left out, from party dresses to underwear, it all goes on the list. I also make note of any special events or tours we might be doing that can require a specific outfit. If  I know we'll be going to a fancy dinner, I make a note to bring a dress for it. Or if we have a hike planned for our trip, I make sure to add "hiking clothes" to my list. I divide the list into clothing items, toiletries, and "other" such as my laptop and headphones. Everything I am taking goes on that list!


Once I have an idea of what I want to bring and what kind of clothes I'll need (is this a beach vacay? Business? A tour? What's the expected weather? What are the cultural norms for dress?) then I start sorting through my closet. I try to stick with comfortable clothes that don't wrinkle and can be rolled up. Most of us who travel often know that rolling items is the best space saver, and lighter clothing items roll better than bulky ones.

 

Layering is key, as well as picking clothes that can be mixed and matched or work for dual purposes. My workout shoes can double as walking shoes on days we plan to be out sightseeing all day. A cute skirt can be paired with a casual tee and sandals, then segue to something fancier with the additional of a silky top and some jewelry. Try to stay with colors that all go together if you can. Your pink and blue striped palazzo pants might be cute, but will they go with more than one top? Sometimes you have to make the sacrifice and leave a favored item at home.

 

For us fashion-conscious girls, shoes are always problematic. I've found that boots are usually just a no, with the  exception of ankle boots, which have thankfully stayed in style this season. I have a pair of black booties that pretty much go with everything, and if I'm short on space in my suitcase, I simply wear them on the plane. Sandals and slip on flats are also my go-to, as you can slide them into a corner pocket without taking up space.


It's also important to remember that with the advent of Airbnb, doing laundry is as simple as making sure the place you book has a washer-dryer. This can really help stretch your luggage contents, plus its just nice to have a few freshly laundered pieces.

If shopping is your thing and you're worried about all the cool finds you won't be able to live without, consider a small collapsable travel bag. There is a wide range of duffles and shoulder bags that fold up for travel, some smaller than a wallet and easy to toss into your suitcase to use as an extra bag later. Check out a review of the 14 Best Foldable Travel Bags for tons of options.



So many times I hear people complain that they ended up bringing far more than they needed for their trip. I think we forget sometimes that in today's modern world, even smaller towns tend to have drugstores and shops. It's really not that hard to pick up a toothbrush or an extra t-shirt if you forget something.

But more than anything else, remember that when you travel, it's not about the stuff. It's about all that you can see, all that you can do, all that you can experience. So lighten your load and make your travel a little freer by streamlining your packing process and leave those unnecessary extras right where they belong - behind you. You won't miss them and you won't need them, I promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All That Glitters (and all That's Tarnished) at the Golden Nugget

My guy and I just got back from a long weekend in Vegas. While weekends there are always on our regular travel rotation, we've never spe...